Open the gates! We have gameplay info for Lorcana coming in!!
Game Trade Magazine issue 279 has been released to subscribers with basic details on Lorcana gameplay!
In the article, the following rules are mentioned:
- The first player to gather 20 lore wins.
- You use a 60 card deck including glimmers of Disney characters as well as items, songs and more.
- Players can build their own deck using up to two inks or one of the pre-built starter decks.
- You begin the game with a hand of seven cards and draw a new card each turn.
- Once per turn, you may turn a card into ink, which you’ll use to play other cards from your hand. All cards have an ink cost that can be paid with the ink in your inkwell.
- On your turn, you can exert characters to have them quest. Just turn them sideways to show they’re exerted, and you get the amount of lore shown on their cards.
- You can also exert your characters to challenge other characters and perhaps banish them.
- Only exerted characters can be challenged.
Also shown are playmats for Maleficent, Maui featured in Just In Time and Mickey Mouse – Steamboat Pilot
- Inkwell icon
- Characters also have a version name listed below the character’s name.
- Categories sometimes referenced in card rules (such as “Broom” in this example)
- This symbol and the colored band behind the card name indicate the card’s ink type.
- Abilities and Effects
- This card’s special rules. On actions, these are called effects. On characters and items, most abilities have a story-based name. Especially common abilities instead use bolded keywords (like “Rush” in the example below).
- How much damage the character deals during a challenge.
- How much damage it takes to banish the character from play.
- Lore Value
- How much lore you gain when the character quests.
- Characters in a challenge deal each other damage equal to their strength.
- They can also receive damage from other effects outside of a character and it adds up over time.
- You’ll keep track of a character’s damage using counters you put on the card.
- If the number of damage counters on a character reaches their willpower, they’re banished! Put the card in your discard pile.
The Rarity Key shows the icons for Common, Uncommon, Rare, Super Rare and Legendary, which are similar to the Rarity page in the wiki.
Lorcana League & Game Night
The Lorcana League gives you a fun and friendly way to play, trade and collect with other Illumineers. In League play, local game stores will host 12 weeks of events, broken up into three rounds. You can earn League points, win or lose, by participating in casual Disney Lorcana matches (best two of three games) and through Lorcana related activities, such as teaching someone how to play. Prizes are awarded to most of the participants, and those with the most points in each round are given a modest additional prize.
This article will continue to be updated as we get more news from the magazine so stay tuned!
Scar – Fiery Usurper
4 Cost | Ruby| Character
Power 5 | Toughness 3 | Lore 1
Dreamborn · Villain
Consumed by the flames of ambition
Belle – Inventive Engineer
3 Cost | Sapphire | Character
Power 2 | Toughness 3 | Lore 2
Dreamborn · Hero · Princess · Inventor
TINKER: Whenever this character quests, you pay 1 less for the next item you play this turn.
A little ingenuity and a lot of heart will take you far in this world.
Lefou – Bumbler
2 Cost | Amber | Character
Power 1 | Toughness 2 | Lore 2
Storyborn · Ally
LOYAL: If you have a character named Gaston in play, you pay 1 less to play this character.
You need a good toady to be a proper bad guy.
Just In Time
3 Cost | Amber | Action
You may play a character with cost 5 or less for free.
The best heroes always arrive at the perfect moment – whether they know it or not.
Mickey Mouse – Steamboat Pilot
3 Cost | Emerald | Character
Power 3 | Toughness 4 | Lore 1
Storyborn · Hero · Captain
On rivers throughout the Inklands, the little steamboat’s whistle answers the cheery tunes of its pilot.
Yzma – Alchemist
2 Cost | Amethyst | Character
Power 2 | Toughness 2 | Lore 1
Dreamborn · Villain · Sorcerer
YOU’RE EXCUSED: Whenever this character quests, look at the top card of your deck. Put it on either the top or the bottom of your deck.
When I want your opinion, I will give it to you!
Hercules – True Hero
3 Cost | Steel| Character
Power 3 | Toughness 3 | Lore 1
Dreamborn · Hero · Prince
Bodyguard (This character may enter play exerted. An opposing character who challenges one of your characters must choose one with Bodyguard if able.)
“You gotta admit, that was pretty heroic.”
Fire The Cannons!
Steel | Action
(Card covered up and unable to be read)
The accessories that will be released at the same time as The First Chapter are also shown here with their artwork.
Each pack contains 65 matte-finish card sleeves featuring a Disney Lorcana glimmer. The first characters featured will be Captain Hook, Elsa, and Mickey Mouse. There are 40 packs of sleeves per case.
Each deck box can hold up to 80 sleeved cards. The first Disney Lorcana deck boxes will feature the same Captain Hook, Elsa, and Mickey Mouse art as the card sleeves. There are 24 deck boxes per case.
Each playmat features striking artwork of Disney characters. A fabric top prevents damage during gameplay and can also be used a desk mat or mouse pad, while the anti-slip bottom keeps the mat in place during use. The first Disney Lorcana playmats will feature Maleficent, Maui, and Mickey Mouse. There are 12 playmats per case.
Players can safeguard their collection with portable card portfolios, which hold 64 standard cards as well as 8 oversized cards. The first Disney Lorcana card portfolios will feature Stitch and The Queen. There are 12 portfolios per case.
Source from Game Trade Magazine